You finally want to mount your TV. However, you’re stuck and can’t decide the correct type of screws to use. So, can you use wood screws, and are these screws strong enough to hold your TV?
Wood screws are sturdy enough to hold a TV. You can use them to attach the studs to the plate. However, there are a variety of screws to choose from for mounting a TV. You should use the correct ones and install them appropriately if you want them to secure your TV.
There are many different types of screws that you can use to hold your TV. In this article, I’ll discuss the best screws for TV mounting. I’ll also explore why you should consider wood screws and how to install wall mount screws correctly.
The Best Screws for TV Mounting
It’s that time you think you should mount or remount your TV. It’s the best decision to secure your TV from potential falls.
However, figuring out the correct screws can be confusing, especially if you’re new to the world of screws. You’ll have to figure out things like:
- Build-in quality
- If they may interfere with your drywall
Also, remember to factor in the TV wall mount you’ll use.
Don’t despair. I’ll help you select the best screws for TV mounting. I’ll review the viable options and what you should expect from using them.
Here are my top picks (all available on Amazon.com):
Best Type: Mounting Dream TV Mounting Screws Kit
If you’re looking for a complete screws kit for mounting your TV, the Dream TV Mounting Screws kit might be the right one. The kit comes with screws of various sizes to fit most TV mounts on the market.
This handy little kit contains everything you need to mount your TV. It comes with not only screws but also spacers and washers. Plus, it’s easy to install and comes with clear labels.
- It’s an affordable option if you’re on a budget
- The kit comes with the tools you need to get the job done
- It’s straightforward to use
- Suitable for any TV brand
- High-quality material
The Dream TV Mounting Hardware Screws Kit has many features that make it a great product. However, you can’t dismiss the potential downsides. For instance, the kit only comes with four types of screws (M4, M5, M6, & M8). So, if you need to mount multiple TVs, you’ll need to purchase additional materials.
Best Durable: ECHOGEAR TV Mount Screws
If you’re looking for a high-quality, universal TV mount screw, ECHOGEAR is an excellent option.
Their screws are tough steel, so they can handle a lot of weight and won’t strip
easily. Plus, they’re available in various sizes to fit any TV mount.
These screws will hold your TV securely for as long as you need. Plus, the unique design makes them super easy to use.
- They are durable
- They are easy to install and remove
- They are compatible with a variety of TV models
- Can mount up to 80″ TVs
- The screws provide a secure hold for your TV, preventing it from wobbling or falling
- The pack contains M4, MS5, M6, & M8 screws
- They may be more pricey than other options
Best Universal: Rentliv Universal TV Mounting Hardware Kit
The Rentliv Universal TV Mounting Hardware Kit makes it easy to do it yourself. But, of course, it would be best if you had a drill and a few essential tools, and you’re all set.
With these screws, you can mount a Tv of any size, and you’ll be sure that nothing will happen to your TV. Their high-quality material is what you need to secure your TV firmly.
- Versatile – you can use them for your TV mount, monitor mount, or TV stand
- Come with 22mm and 33mm spacers
- Compatible with all TV types
- The kit includes only basic hardware. So, if you need any special brackets or screws, you’ll need to purchase them separately.
Best Affordable: Perlegear Universal TV Mounting Hardware Kit
If you want a great, affordable TV mounting hardware kit, you should check out the Perlegear Universal TV Mounting Hardware Kit.
This kit has everything you need to mount your TV, including a sturdy mount, screws, and washers.
- Compatible with most TV brands
- Easy to install
- The screws are sturdy and will hold your TV securely in place
- Will last longer
- A single pack is enough for a mount
- They can brittle
- It may be susceptible to rust
Best VESA: WALI Store VESA TV Mounting Screws
VESA TV Mounting Screws are high-quality steel designed to hold your TV firmly.
VESA designed these screws with VESA dimensions in mind. These VESA standards dictate the size and spacing of the mounting holes on the back of a TV. So you’ll need screws that correspond to these standards.
To be sure that your TV is VESA compatible:
- Take a look at the back of your TV. Your TV is likely VESA compatible if there are four screws in a square pattern.
- You can also measure the distance between the screws to ensure they are VESA-compliant.
- Consult your TV’s documentation or manufacturer to confirm.
- Easy to install and remove
- It comes with M4 to M8 screws
- Compatible with all brands and types of TV
- The kit includes all sizes and shapes of screws, spacers, and washers
- They may need a more secure fit for your specific TV model because they fit a wide range of TVs
Why You May Consider Wood Screws To Hold Your TV
You might worry that wood screws may not be strong enough to support the weight of a TV. I understand your concern. Moreover, you wouldn’t want to potentially damage your TV by using the wrong screws to mount it.
While you may use several screw types for this purpose, wood screws are popular— because they are relatively inexpensive and easy to find.
Here are a few reasons why you should consider wood screws to mount your TV:
- These screws are strong. Wood screws are sturdy and will provide better support for your TV.
- They are also less likely to strip. You won’t have to worry about your TV falling off the wall.
- They are also easy to install. They will take a little of your time.
- They are relatively inexpensive. They are the best if you’re on a budget.
- They are widely available. You can find them in most hardware stores.
Precautions You Should Take When Installing Wall Mount Screws
When mounting your TV, you should take precautions to ensure the mount is sturdy enough to hold the TV. Here are some:
Make Sure the Screws Are the Right Size and Type for the TV
There are different sizes and types of wood screws. So, it is essential to choose the right ones for the TV.
The size of the screw will depend on the size of your TV. For example, a small TV will need smaller screws than a large TV.
Ensure that the screws are screwed into the wall securely. The best way to do this is to use a drill to ensure the screws are tight.
Use a Drill To Create Pilot Holes for the Screws
It’s equally important to create pilot holes for the screws.
To create pilot holes, you’ll have to:
- Find a drill.
- Mark where you want to place the hole.
- Then, drill holes at the marked locations. Use a drill bit slightly smaller than the screws you’re using.
This video explains some of the drilling mistakes you should avoid. You may find it helpful.
If you have a concrete wall, check out my article on whether a hammer drill can crack concrete. [Will a Hammer Drill Crack Concrete? What You Should Know]
Make Sure the Holes Are the Right Size
The size of the holes you drill for the screws also matters.
You’ll want to ensure the holes you drill for your wall mount screws are the correct size.
If they’re too small, the screws won’t grip properly, and your TV could end up falling. On the other hand, if too large, the screws could slip through the holes and damage your TV.
Use a Level
A level will ensure that the TV is level and won’t end up crooked on the wall.
This tool is essential if you’re mounting the TV by yourself. Examples of levels you can use for this purpose include a laser level, a spirit level, or a bubble level.
I’ve used the CRAFTSMAN Torpedo Level from Amazon.com and found it delivers perfect results. The level is sturdy and easy to read. Plus, it’s affordable—so you can stick to your budget.
Use Washers on the Screws
Consider using washers on the screws when mounting a TV to distribute the load.
Washers also help keep the screws from coming loose over time. They help prevent the TV from falling.
After everything is in order and your TV is finally secured, check the screws periodically to ensure they are in the correct state.
Wood screws are strong enough to hold a TV if you install them correctly. Most of these screws are easy to install and less likely to strip. They are also affordable and widely available.
There are a variety of screws you can use to mount your TV, with the best type being the Dream TV Mounting Screws Kit (available on Amazon.com). However, you’ll need to decide which screws best fit the model and size of your TV.
With the right tools and knowledge, you can rest assured that your TV will be safe and sound.